Te Mata Estate was established in 1896 and remains family-owned today. They produce internationally-recognised wines from their Hawkes Bay vineyards.
Today, the estate comprises 250ha, with 150ha under vine, and produces 40000 cases exclusively from these plantings. Two thirds of the production is Cabernets/Merlot, Chardonnay and Syrah.
Te Mata Estate Winery originated as part of Te Mata Station, a large pastoral land-holding established by English immigrant John Chambers in 1854. John's third son, Bernard had the original vision for wine production and planted grape vines on three parcels of hillside land above the homestead, and by 1909 it was the largest vineyard in New Zealand.
Today, Te Mata Estate still utilises those original three vineyards to produce its most famous wines; Coleraine, Awatea and Elston. Te Mata Estate was acquired by the current owners, the Bucks and the Morris's, in 1978.
They initiated a twenty year development programme which included restoring and re-equipping the original winery.
Thanks to their direction, Te Mata Estate has produced a stunning array of red and white wines over the last thirty years, including famous labels such as Coleraine, Awatea Cabernets/Merlots, Bullnose Syrah, Elston Chardonnay, Cape Crest Sauvignon Blanc and most recently Zara Viognier, which was launched in 2009.
Te Mata Estate has also developed a unique single vineyard which produces its Estate wines.
Te Mata Estate Gamay Noir 2020The unique ‘maceration carbonique’ fermentation, which enhances the fruit and floral aromas of the wine, was used for 45% of the grapes. The other 55% received a traditional, warm, red…
Estate Gamay Noir 2020
Te Mata Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2021With sauvignon blanc grapes of such quality, minimal winemaking means the finer aromatics and flavours are preserved. At the winery, the grapes were chilled, gently pressed, and the juice…
Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2021